Nikon finally announced the AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G; some of the highlights are as follows:
- 50mm FX-format standard lens (75mm when used with a Nikon DX-format SLR).
- Fast maximum aperture of f/1.8.
- Ideal for low-light situations or portraits with smooth bokeh.
- Aspherical lens element for superior image quality.
- SWM (Silent Wave Motor) for fast, quiet autofocus.
- Two focus modes: M/A (manual-priority autofocus) and M (manual focus).
- Remarkably lightweight and compact body.
- Weather-sealed metal lens mount.
- Outstanding value for money.
click here for more details. Unfortunately no other announcements were made at this time; we”l have to wait a bit longer for the D400 and D800 announcements.
The price is expected to be around £199 and will be available in June. The lens acan be pre-ordered in from Park Cameras.
From what Tom Hogan has been saying this lens might be a new hidden gem in Nikon’s lens lineup. The optics have been improved and hopefully they haven’t fitted the awful AF motor that powers its more expensive f/1.4 cousin.